An old, traditional form of green tea from China and most famously, Japan. It is a bright green powder, made from dried green tea leaves and is much stronger than regular green tea.
Originally used at Chinese Buddhist Chan (Zen) monasteries, and then brought to Japan by travelling Zen monks, the Matcha form of powdered green tea was highly valued by the Zen Buddhists for its energy-giving and health-promoting benefits.
From about the 12th century onwards, Matcha became popular across Japan, at first in Buddhist monasteries and then by the Japanese elite, and spreading further into the community.
Over time, an elaborate tea ceremony type ritual was created, involving a range of matcha tools including a whisk and ceramic bowls
Nowadays, Matcha powdered green tea is popular world-wide either on its own, especially favoured by health fanatics and tea lovers. It is also a very fashionable ingredient in smoothies, cookies, ice-cream and other sweets, and of course there's the "matcha latte" or "green tea latte" or as we call it here at LUPICIA, Matcha Au Lait, a sweet and milky matcha-laden hot beverage.
As with green tea in general, there are many beneficial health and wellbeing effects associated with Matcha. Since Matcha is essentially a concentrated form of green tea, one can appreciate the extra value obtained from using Matcha to boost one's health and wellbeing.
Let's summarise the main health benefits of drinking Matcha tea:
(For more detailed information on each of these, please visit our Green Tea page)
1. Matcha boosts your immune system.
2. Matcha promotes weight loss and can help increase your physical performance.
3. Matcha helps to reduce your anxiety & boosts your brain power.
4. Matcha contains antioxidants which reduce risk of cancer.
5. Matcha is loaded with healthy bio-active compounds.
6. Matcha helps to protect your brain from age-related illnesses.
7. Matcha promotes better dental health.
8. Matcha helps you live longer!